There are animals out there that are just so furry, brightly colored, or sweet-faced that you might just get the sudden urge to slowly reach out to touch them. Want our advice? Resist this urge! These animals may look cute, but please don't let their adorable exteriors fool you, as these critters' powerful and clever defense mechanisms are reason enough to leave these delightful creatures where they belong: the wild.
The wolverine is a stocky, furry and muscular animal. With its short legs, broad and rounded head, small eyes and short rounded ears, it resembles a cute little bear that you might want to cuddle. However, this is definitely one weasel that you don't want to mess with. It is known for its aggressive nature and with its powerful jaws, thick hide, and sharp claws, it can take down prey as large as a moose (seriously) and can even steal food from bears and wolves.
Please don't let the name fool you as, apart from its looks, there is nothing sweet about this furry little ball of claws and teeth. Honey badgers have a fearsome reputation in the animal world and, as a result, they have few natural predators. The thick skin of this voracious predator can protect it from snake bites, insect stings, and even machetes and arrows. Honey badgers love to feast on some of the world's deadliest snakes, but they are also partial to a zebra or deer every now and then. When they make a kill, they devour all parts of their prey, including skin, hair, flesh, feathers, and bones.
Look at those eyes! How can anything this slow, shy and cute be dangerous? Well, it might shock you to hear, but the slow loris is actually one of the only poisonous mammals in the world. Due to its subtle nature, it is a common creature to find in the illegal pet trade, but this furry ball of cuteness also carries a toxin that is released from glands on the side of its elbow. If the slow loris feels threatened, it will lick its elbow and take some of the toxin into its mouth. The toxin then reacts with the saliva and makes for a very nasty and painful bite. The toxin has been known to cause death by anaphylactic shock in some people.
These cute little guys may only be about 5-8 inches long, but they pack enough power to kill a human in a matter of minutes. A matter of seconds after being bitten (which ironically is painless), the victim will start to feel nauseous, then they will begin to lose their vision, touch, speech and the ability to swallow. In just 3 minutes, the nervous system shuts down completely, paralysis occurs and respiratory failure commences. Without immediate medical help, the victim will die. As there is no antidote for blue-ringed octopus venom, the victim must be kept alive using machines until the venom works its way out of the body. this usually takes around 24 hours and leaves no obvious side effects. Scarily, the victim is aware of everything that is happening around them, but cannot respond in anyway. Blue-ringed octopus venom is 1200 times more toxic than cyanide.
Cassowaries are colorful ostrich-looking birds that can be found wandering around the rainforests of Australia and Papua New Guinea. They are often kept as pets in native villages in New Guinea, where they're allowed to roam around like big chickens. Cassowaries most feed on fruits, though all species are omnivorous. This bird may seem placid, but when disturbed they can become extremely aggressive. When threatened these huge birds run and leap at the threat at high speeds, thrusting and kicking their large claws forward with the aim of disemboweling their target.
The name says all you need to know about these colorful guys - they're full of deadly poison. The most poisonous of these frogs, the golden poison frog, has enough toxin to kill 10-20 men. What makes these tiny frogs even more deadly is the fact that they don't even have to bite you to deliver their venom. The poison is secreted through the frog's skin, meaning if you touch one of them you might be in extreme danger. Vibrant colors in the animal kingdom usually act as a warning to stay away and, in the case of these little frogs, stay away you should!
This large creature may only feed on ants and termites, but it definitely knows how to defend itself. Anteaters are not aggressive, but they will fight back fiercely if forced to do so. A threatened anteater will stand up on its rear legs, using its tail for balance. It will then start swiping out with its powerful claws that can be up to 4 inches in length. The giant anteater is even ferocious enough to fight off predators such as jaguars and pumas.
Don't try to pick up this cuttlefish. Though cute and colorful, these tiny cephalopod's' displays are there as a stark warning. Their muscle tissues contain a highly potent and rare toxin that scientists still do not fully understand. In fact, its poison is as lethal as that of the blue-ringed octopus. Eat this cuttlefish at your own peril!
Box jellyfish differ from other jellyfish in that their bells are cubic, rather than crown-shaped or domed. Their unique structure allows them to move much faster than other jellyfish, and since they are almost transparent, they are a lot more beautiful too. If you are swimming and come across this beauty, then do not touch it as they are one of the most venomous creatures in the world. These jellyfish are found in warm coastal waters all over the world, but luckily for us, the poisonous ones are only found in the Indo-Pacific region and waters off Northern Australia. A sting from a box jellyfish is extremely painful and can cause the heart to seize up and stop in a matter of minutes.
This animal, although it appears to be extremely awkward and harmless, is actually poisonous, making it, along with the slow loris, one of the few living mammals to produce venom. The male platypus has ankle spurs that produce a poison that is strong enough to kill small animals such as dogs. This venom is only active during breeding season, which supports the theory that this venom is used to fight off rival males, not only for protection. The venom is not lethal to humans, but it is extremely excruciating.
These amusing and cute inflatable fish are one of the most poisonous vertebrates on the planet. these fish are covered in tiny spines that inject tetrodotoxin into their victims. while the toxin is not strong enough to kill something as big as a shark, it has more than enough toxin to kill a human. So, if you're swimming and happen to come across one of these guys, all swollen up like a spiky ball, just swim the other way.