20130602

All Those Traveling to United States...



The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will implement new I-94 procedures from April 30, 2013. All foreign visitors (travelling on any visa) arriving in the US from air or sea will be able to access their arrival / departure record information online. They will be no longer required to fill out a paper I-94 Arrival / Departure Record on arrival to the US. CBP will gather the required information automatically from their electronic travel records. This will streamline the entry process for visitors.
These are significant changes and request you to read this carefully.
Current Process:
On arrival in the US, you are currently, provided a paper I-94 Arrival / Departure Record form. The completed form is to be submitted to the CBP officials at the port of entry. On verification, the CBP official would admit you and stamp the I-94 with the date of admission, visa type and expiry date. Each of the I-94 form had a unique number. Generally, this is attached to your passport. Each of your dependent also had a unique I-94. The copy of this was to be maintained at all times to prove immigration status.
I-94 details is shared during the I-9 verification process and also when filing for an extension of stay application (work visas). It was also used for obtaining SSN or state driver’s license.
While exiting US, you had to hand over the I-94 to the airline staff to ensure that the exit date was captured in their systems.
Revised Process:
There is no major change in the process, except that the paper I-94 form is no longer required to be filled and submitted. CBP will gather the required information automatically from your electronic travel records as provided by the airline. If the admission is approved, the CBP officials will stamp your passport / any other travel document with the admission date, visa type and the expiry date. There is no stamped I-94 form provided to your or your dependants. The CBP officials will hand over a flier with instructions on how to download the I-94 details. Please ensure that the details on the stamp are correct in all respects.
The electronic version of the I-94 can be downloaded from the CBP website – www.cbp.gov/I94. The system will request for personal information and if the details are available in the CBP system, the electronic I-94 will be generated. It will also contain the admission information and unique admission number. You can make multiple copies of the same and utilized for I-9, social security or state driver’s license requirement. You and all your dependants have to carry a copy of this at all time. Electronically generated I-94 is a valid document for I-9 verification. You can visit the website to re-download the I-94 form at any point of time.
If you notice any error in the form, you should reach out to ISG. We will guide you to visit the CBP office for corrections.
Also, when you exit the country, the exit dates automatically are updated in the CBP systems. But, it is advisable to hand over the copy of the electronic I-94 form before departing US. As this is being implemented in phased manner, there could be multiple forms of I-94 depending on when you entered US and how. If you have entered US on a paper I-94 and exiting US after April 30, 2013, you still have to hand over the paper I-94 at the exit. If you have entered US before April 30, 2013 and hold a valid paper I-94, it is valid till the expiry date.
Implementation Schedule
This will be implemented in a phased manner through May 2013. Some of airports will continue to submit the paper Form I-94, till such time. Please note of the airports that you would be travelling and ensure you take appropriate steps in this regard.
Week 14/30/13 - 5/03/13Charlotte Douglas International Airport,
Orlando International Airport,
Las Vegas Airport,
Chicago O’Hare,
Miami International Airport and
Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport
Week 25/7/13Major Air and Sea Ports within the following field offices:
New York,
Boston,
Buffalo,
Baltimore,
Detroit,
Atlanta,
Tampa,
Puerto Rico,
Miami
Chicago
New Orleans and
Houston
Week 35/14/13Major Air and Sea ports within the following field offices:
Pre-Clearance,
San Francisco (includes Hawaii and Guam),
Tucson,
El Paso,
Seattle,
Portland (includes Alaska),
Los Angeles,
San Diego and
Laredo
Week 45/21/13All remaining airports and seaports.